Sunday, April 8, 2012

How Manda Got Her Groove Back (My Organised Space & Adventures in Craft!)


[Update: - I write some posts on my phone, and I was halfway through this post when technical errors struck. Thought I'd lost the text but just found out that it actually got through, although somewhat disjointed. Have finished the post here.]

Flashback to earlier this year: Chelle gave me a whole bunch of scrappy stuff. I gave some to my cousin and packed the rest, re-organising my stash in the processes. The weeks passed.

Today, I decided to make something for Anne. A 30th birthday is a big milestone!

So I cleared some space on my table, above the cabinet where most of my stash is stashed. 

I picked out a base set of papers to work with, then pulled out matching embellishments, like rub-ons. I reached for tools: paper cutter, scissors, corner rounder. 

As it's been quite some time since I last made anything, I found myself slightly amazed that I was inspired again.

I put it down to a few this-works-for-me factors:
- An important enough reason to make something
- Having my stuff organized and ready to use, which means having similar items grouped together, tools within easy reach and a clear desk area to work on
- Fun embellishments and paper within view, such as those in clear plastic holders
- I limited the number of embellishments going on, so I didn't stress over using a whole lot of tools or fancy stuff, just enough to convey my birthday greetings
- I figured I could complete the task within the time limit, like 30 min, and I found my old watch - propped up prominently within my work area - quite useful. Not too surprisingly, I ended up taking more than double the amount of time needed, but trying to get things done speedily helped so that I didn't spend too much time thinking of different layouts.

:)

No comments: