Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Respite

Sitting quietly on the open deck of Vivo City, I had a sudden epiphany as to why I enjoy these quiet moments. They remind me of a time when entertainment was literally free and easy: Sunday afternoons at the beach, with a one-pot meal packed to feed a clan; weekdays after school cycling at the void deck.

Today I have the afternoon off (again!) and am having a bite before I head home for tea with my family.

I'm breathing in the cool breeze, totally enjoying the greyish cloud-lined horizon. Little birds hop about the wooden deck foraging for scraps. A steady stream of tourists and families strolls by. Children plead to wade in the ankle-deep water. Schoolgirls take jump shots. A splashing good time is had by all. I can see the iconic cable cars and Sentosa monorail from where I am seated. Planes fly by high above mechanical cranes gliding in smooth movement.

This is my respite from the unforgiving air-con and the noise of work life. Magical.

No comments: