Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Easter Eggs


One of my most recent craft activities. I have been busy and find less time to do things like this, but the mood does come by every now and then.

I have fond memories of making egg-shaped cards in my childhood. I traced out an egg shape and cut out cards on folded paper. (The left-side edge is left intact so it holds the front and back of the paper together)

The thing is, I wanted some sort of crayon feel to it so I used my (another childhood tool) wax pencils (you know, the ones where you pull a thread to expose more of the crayon when it gets whittled down?). But I digress. So the thing about wax crayon is that it's rather messy and gets on other surfaces that it comes into contact with.*

* Unless...and here's another digression... you draw with the crayon and then paint over it, which creates interesting patterns since the wax repels the paint. Great fun.

So I contemplated throwing them away but it would have been such a waste.
I hit upon the idea of using my Christmas-gifted washi tape from Chelle, which worked wonderfully to cover the wax and looked great too. Thanks Chelle! :)

I made a little egg card for my cousins and wrote a message for each of them. Kris and I threw an egg hunt for the kids, complete with an assortment of delicious chocolate and candy eggs. Sure hope all the eggs were found!

As for why there are easter eggs to begin with, well I just think of them as reminders of the new and full life that we have in Jesus. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

:)

No comments: