Sunday, November 21, 2010

The old school carnival

It felt good to be back.

I have a lot of good memories in this place, seeing as my batch of schoolmates & I probably spent more years in this place than any others because of school-building projects.

My mother and aunts raised money for this school when they were in school.
I did my fair share of spell-a-thons and walk-a-thons too. At least I got to enjoy the new place.

Some things never change, for here we were attending a carnival to celebrate the school's 80th anniversary and well, the money goes into some upgrading projects, I'm sure?

It was an impressive carnival. Huge! Three bouncy castles!








































We soaked in the atmosphere.

It felt good to walk across the field once more.

We went back to the hall where we'd had performances, overnight camps and O'level exams.


















Back to the courtyard where we'd had art lessons like drawing still-lifes of these statues. I think my fondness for museums and literature was nurtured in my time here.

I remember a piece of calligraphy pinned up on a noticeboard near the statues. It read: I think that I shall never see a thing as lovely as a tree.
In some funny way, that has stayed with me all these years.


















Retraced steps where we'd scampered up and down as little girls and later on as more sophisticated teenagers. And peered at the staff notice board where we were astonished to see that some teachers were still there (bless 'em) and astounded to see that the most unlikely of people had become teachers themselves and returned to the school. Life is funny.























Am glad that all that fund-raising helped to build such a beautiful place :)

No comments: