Thursday, September 18, 2008

I slowed down

The prize for most creative bruises on a foot must surely go to me. I slipped on a step (or maybe it was two) at my aunt's home on Saturday. My left foot is puffy like it's been steamed or something, and my toes have been shaded in interesting variations of aubergine. And I just discovered a bruise on the underside of my foot yesterday!

I hobbled to work Mon to Wed. In tevas sandals and jeans (because you know, tevas would just look weird with anything else). Grandmas and grandpas and pregnant women whizzed by and left me in their dust. Working types eyed my foot quizzically.

I never realised how impatient commuters generally are. They walk really fast, cut into your lane abruptly, sometimes brushing against you a little with their bag or sleeve, all of which signals lady, you're moving too slowly.

In the midst of moving slowly, I slowed down. I had a newfound sympathy for people who could not move like regular folks. I noticed the people around me - how they walked, what they were wearing or doing, their body language.

And a slightly sad/alarming thing was, there I was walking by slowly and some people I knew would walk past me not even saying hello. Either they're as blur as I am or worse, I just never took the time to talk to people and now, I'm not someone they would bother to stop and talk to. Eeks. So slowing down has been good for me. I'm reminded to take the time to talk to people, look them in the eye, find out how they're doing.

My foot is getting better and I should be ok after today's trip to the doctor's and a day's rest at home. I'm raring to go and can't wait to re-start brisk walks in the park. Just as soon as I buy sports shoes.

No comments: